Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sales

I've been building gear for over a year now, and because I enjoy it so much I tend to make a good bit more than I need.  Eleven hammocks and six tarps, a bivy sac, two underquilts and more stuff sacks and stoves than you can shake a stick at - and I got to the point where I decided to do some extra work and turn this hobby into a self-sustaining project.

I'm testing the waters with tarps.  I've just sold two 11x10 silnylon tarps and will use that small profit to purchase material to make more.  If those sell (and I've already got orders pending), then I'll use that profit to purchase even more material and seriously look into starting a small cottage industry.  It's exciting, a lot of fun, and a bit scary, but I'm doing something I love and if I can find a way to be at least moderately successful and continue to build quality outdoor gear, I will.

I still consider myself new to this, I'm slow (it's a one man operation), and I won't be pumping them out en masse, which is why I am keeping the prices very very low compared to the competition.  And I don't want to hurt the competition either - there are some very good tarp builders that support the Hammocking community (no, you don't need to hammock to utilize tarps - they work for ground dwellers just as well) and I will continue to point people their way.  But if you find yourself in need of a super lightweight tarp, toss me an email and we'll go from there.  Right now I am not in business, but likely headed that way. 

The one pictured here is my 11x10.5 Oversize tarp.  There's a write up on it's design a few posts down the list.  I sold the prototype for $85.00 (it was used once).  Subsequent versions will likely go for $95.00 shipping included to the cont. 48 states.  Prices are not all worked out yet.

I also sold an 11x11 tarp, a prototype, for $80.00.  Subsequent versions will be closer to $85.00 shipped. 

These two were both cat-cut (catenary curves on all outside edges between tie-outs).  It's a fairly grueling process, but it makes the tarp pitch nice and tight - no flopping around in the wind.  You can get a good pitch with rectangular tarps as well, just not quite as nice.  On both of these tarps they are sized so that the ends can swing in to seal out the nasty weather.  These pictures do now show it fully closed (needs a slightly steeper pitch to do so).  

I'll post again with available tarps, colors, and pricing when I get things together.  To any and all - thanks for your interest.  And if you want to build your own feel free to toss me questions, I'd be glad to share what I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment